Wednesday, October 29, 2014

on learning your child has cancer ...

I learned this morning that the 10-year-old daughter of friends of ours has been diagnosed with Leukemia, discovered after she had some routine bloodwork done yesterday. No family ever deserves news like this - but these folks have had more than their share of heartache in their years together. That's not my story to tell, but my heart has been heavy for B and her family today as they are walking the same hallways and having conversations with the same team of doctors as we did nearly 7 months ago. I told B's mom and dad today that on the day of our diagnosis, I could not fathom ever being at the place where we are now in Jax's treatment. But here we are. No one knows what each family's cancer journey will look like, but I know that this family is well equipped and abundantly supported as they enter these deep waters.  Please pray for B. She also has Down Syndrome, which adds an extra element of complication to her treatment and support. Pray for her mom and dad as they care for B, her two older sisters, and newly adopted toddler brother, who also has special needs that require a tremendous amount of daily care and support.
B's Mom Christie blogs at So Here's Us.

***********************************************
I edited this post to share about Miss B. 
Original post below.
***********************************************

I came across this blog by a fellow oncology mom ... 

As if dealing with a special needs child with cancer, she watches for rockets to fall on her vehicle as she drives him to his appointments.

Have a look at her blog.

I found this incredible description of the day her son was diagnosed with Leukemia:

"And the water rushed all around me
and sucked all the air out of the room."

I am sure that this feeling is shared by other parents of children with life changing, life threatening diagnoses. It is understood by anyone who hears devastating news about a loved one, no matter what age or stage of life.

1 comment:

  1. Rachel - thank you so much for writing it all down. In the past I've skimmed your posts hoping for good news and been delighted by pix of Jaxon, but most of it went over my head. I've just finished rereading it all by the light of the IV machine and every word is helpful. Our oncologist laid out the roadmap for us using "this part is just like Jaxon" or "this part is modified" - somehow seems less scary. B has more time in hospital for DS, but less time overall as a girl. I'll never be thankful that anyone has to walk this path, but I am so thankful to know you guys. Thank God! And hug Jaxon for us!

    ReplyDelete